Saturday, December 15, 2012

Teapots and Their Stories - Introduction

About 15 years ago I wanted to find a way to share my teapot stories other than telling when I received or purchased one and from who or where.  With a bit of prayer and contemplation, I decided to write a devotion on each of my pots.  To begin, I looked at each pot individually, and besides telling the story of how I came to own it, I started to relate the meaning of that pot, the looks of the pot, the problems of that pot to life in general. 

I began by sharing my love for tea, from childhood and having tea with my grandparents.  Grandpa came to the U.S.
from England at the age of 18, and Gramma was born in California, but her parents were from England.  Grandpa had the English accent until he died, and early on, I fell in love with everything English.  Next I quoted some childhood stories that mentioned tea, like .....and then told how God had provided me with a way to share my teapots through stories, scripture and song.  Some of the stories went along with favorite hymns, which we would sing especially well if an accompanist was among the guests.  There were always miniature teapots and plastic child proof sets that I displayed right in the front, and encouraged the children to come and handle them.  Here is an example of one of my teapot devotions:



One pot rocks back and forth when touched, but you'd never know that if you didn't touch it.  The message of this pot was that we each have our own inefficiencies, but we don't share them with most people, unless they get close to us.  And even tho we don't want others to know about our inefficiencies, we all have them.  When we share these qualities with others we give others an opportunity to like us or not; or to acknowledge their own similar qualities.  We give others a chance to be supportive or to realize that they are not alone.  This sharing often strengthens our relationships with others and helps us to be strong in who we are.
Lord God:  Thank you for making me the way I am.  Thank you for giving me strength to be who you want me to be, and the wisdom to share myself with others. AMEN.
Sing: Rock of Ages cleft for me, let me hide myself in Thee......

Then I started to let people in my community know I was available to present "Teapots and Their Stories" and thus began my travels.  Though most all of the events were within a 50 mile radius of my home, the farthest I traveled was 175 miles, with the aid of my husband since this area was one of many that he worked in in his younger years.

Stay tuned for "Tea Pots and Their Stories," an original devotional written about my teapots.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sue, I love your new blog and the heart warming stories you tell. Your handmade teacups are perfect for your Header. So cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! And for sharing your comments.